Log in

Why Mobile First Means Content First In 2015

Why Mobile First Means Content First In 2015

Consumer consumption of content has undergone a revolution because of mobile. As a result, brands must develop and maintain personalized relationships with their target audiences.

The mobile platform bridges the physical and digital worlds by providing access to desired content during every hour of every day and every night. According to Nielson research, U.S. adults spend nearly two full days per month using apps or Web browsers on their phones.

That’s roughly 2,880 minutes a month, 720 minutes a week, and 103 minutes a day. One thing is certain: Mobile usage has tipped, and mobile is the future. In order to survive and stay ahead of competition in 2015, brands and marketers must realize that the way we make, share, communicate, purchase, and sell has completely changed.

As we quickly move into 2015, we’ll continue to see mobile taking the front seat of every marketing/advertising initiative. If you’re not thinking mobile, you’re severely missing the boat. Here’s why:

The Web is swiftly being replaced by mobile apps: So quickly that 86% of all time spent on iOS/Android devices is in apps, leaving a mere 14% of users’ time spent in mobile Web browsers, according to Flurry Analytics. It’s imperative brands shift their marketing strategies away from mobile Web and toward new platforms, like mobile content hubs, which maintain the convenient interface, but increase accessibility, usability, and consumer engagement.

This will be the year that brands truly embrace the mobile first mind-set: Accompanying this trend, mobile content marketing spending will continue to increase as brands experience the value of engaging the opted-in consumer with relevant content marketing.

In fact, mobile ad spending in the US will hit $19 billion this year and $58 billion by 2018, according to eMarketer. Global mobile spend is projected to jump 85% to $32.71 billion this year. Additionally, as noted by Adweek, mobile sales figures at both Facebook and Twitter are soaring, with each enjoying double-digit gains per quarter.

Meanwhile, the process and ability to effectively advertise on mobile devices may have gotten even easier with Facebook’s launch of Atlas, which allows marketers to track campaigns across platforms (smartphones, tablets, and desktops). Even Nielson is taking a large piece of the mobile pie by developing tools for TV networks that will align mobile views with TV ratings. It’s only a matter of time before tech giants like Google enter the equation.

Mobile beacons will leave cookies in the dust, so brands must develop a local mobile strategy: According to a recent Forrester survey of digital executives with responsibility for mobile within their companies, 4% are using beacons already, but an astounding 30% plan to use beacons in 2015. Corporations from retailers and hotels to restaurants and banks will place beacons in their physical locations so that they know who is in their store, airport, branch, and restaurant so they can personalize the experience. According to the data, 23 percent of online consumers expect their mobile experience to change based on location.

With the introduction of any technology, it’s always best that brands are transparent in order to gain consumer trust and provide insight on the value of the technology in an effort to avoid creeping out consumers like brands originally did when they introduced cookies online.

Personally, I am ready to embrace this innovation when presented with the appropriate content and personalization strategy. If I were already in a store looking to buy some jeans, why wouldn’t I want a 25% off coupon? It’s not only a great incentive to purchase from the retail perspective, but it also establishes brand loyalty, as I’ll be more inclined to return to the same store based on my positive experience. Beacons are really a win-win.

Looking Ahead: While it’s uncertain exactly what 2015 will bring in terms of technological advancements, one thing is sure: Brands, publishers, marketers, and advertisers are all betting big on mobile and all innovations associated with mobile devices. From phone calls creating content hubs to text messages, social media, apps, games, etc., the mobile device is one of the single most important and powerful computing devices--and 2015 will continue to showcase the power of mobile.

Read this predictions piece by Marla Schimke, Zumobi's VP of Marketing here on CMO.com.

See newsroom